Interscholastic mountain biking has come to North Carolina! The North Carolina Interscholastic Cycling League, one of the newest leagues in the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA – an IMBA strategic partner in the Teen Trail Corps initiative), is gearing up for its inaugural season. NICA is a non-profit physical activity and positive youth development organization that promotes mountain bike training and racing for middle school and high school student-athletes. There are now 19 leagues in 18 states, with almost 8,000 student-athletes toeing the line every spring and fall.
Pinkbike calls NICA “the future of mountain biking,” but we’re about more than racing in the dirt. In North Carolina, our mission is to enable every teen to build a strong mind, a strong body and strong character through lifelong participation in cycling; specifically, we are focused on:
- Filling a niche for students whose needs may not met by traditional interscholastic sports
- Getting kids outside
- Welcoming and supporting diversity in ability, ethnicity, gender, orientation, and skill level – everyone participates in our races, everyone scores, and everyone is cheered; no one is benched.
- Promoting trail-building efforts and environmental awareness
- Improving focus and academic performance in our student-athletes
- Promoting health and fitness in teens and their families
Our pre-season begins in October, and racing starts in March of 2017. We will hold five weekend racing events across the state. Teams can form as school clubs, composite teams (student-athletes from different schools forming teams), or independent teams. Home-schooled student-athletes can join any of these teams or form their own.
We’re looking for coaches – no experience necessary. Can’t commit to being a coach? You can still help out by becoming a volunteer, ride leader or assistant coach. Skilled and dedicated volunteers are the heart and soul of NICA leagues. We’ll trainyou and certify you, using the same materials and resources that the more than 3,100 successful NICA volunteers and coaches across the US have used. Don’t miss out — register here for our Leaders Summit (September 10-11 at Bur-Mil Park in Greensboro)!